Canadian Experience Class (CEC)


Canadian Experience Class

After you have lived in Canada for some time, you may have good English or French skills, the right kind of skilled work experience, and be used to Canadian society. The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) was created to help people like this take part in the Canadian economy. If you are a temporary foreign worker or a foreign student, and have skilled work experience in Canada, you may be in a good position to move from temporary to permanent residence under the (CEC).



This class is for people with skilled work experience in Canada.



Important Note: As of January, 1, 2015 candidates for the Canadian Experience Class program will be selected to apply through the Express Entry System. If you have applied before January 1, 2015, your application will be considered according to the former system.



Minimum requirements

  • Have at least 1 year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada;
  • Apply within 3 years of obtaining your skilled work experience;
  • Have had legal status while working, or studying, in Canada; · Meet minimum language levels in English or French; and
  • Plan to live outside the province of Quebec.


Work experience

Your work experience must be Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A(professional occupations) or Skill Level B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC).


Language requirements

  • NOC 0 or A job, the minimum level is CLB 7 (English) or NCLC 7 (French).
  • NOC B job, the minimum level is CLB 5 (English) or NCLC 5 (French).